Edit: The slidedeck is now online.
While I was initalially pleased with a mildly amusing title, I soon realised that it doesn’t really give any indication as to the content of the talk, and I wanted to give a quick preview of what’s in store.
Firstly, I want to say that this isn’t an ‘introduction to Exceptions’ talk, it more a talk about ‘how to start thinking about Exceptions’. It assumes you have a basic grasp of Exceptions and their syntax. If you need a refresher then I would recommend checking out Brandon Savage’s great series on PHP Exceptions to get you up to speed.
I realise that people don’t think handling failure is a cool or sexy topic
but I hope to convince you otherwise over the course of the 35 minute talk.
Instead of looking at the dry syntax details of Exceptions were are going to answer the 5 biggest questions about Exceptions in turn:
- What the hell is an Exception, really?
- When should I throw an Exception?
- What PHP-specific craziness do I need to know about?
- Why don’t some folks like Exceptions and what are the alternatives?
- Are there any best-practises when using Exceptions?
So come along to see more amusing Zombie-related pictures, oh and find out more about the awesome world of failure handling.